Email Us 24 Hours

info@diamondpestcontrol.co.uk

Our Blog

Another fascinating post from Diamond Pest Control...

cat in a garden in london

The UK’s Most Harmful Pet Pests

Pets provide us with endless joy. Unfortunately, much as we humans would wish otherwise, our beloved furry friends can fall prey to certain pet pests. Some of these can be extremely harmful to them.

What are the most problematic pet pests?

Fleas

Fleas are a common problem with dogs and cats alike. They can cause itching, skin problems and infections. Fleas can also spread parasites like tapeworms and certain diseases as well. Once fleas take hold in your home, they can get onto you and infest carpets and furnishings.

Ticks

These are the most obvious pet pests. Your pets, mostly dogs, will often pick up ticks from outside. Ticks can cause your pets to become anaemic if the problem is allowed to continue untreated.

ticks are pet pets

They can also infect your pets with Lyme disease. This may lead to lameness, arthritis and fever. Not only that, ticks can sometimes cause death and even paralysis.

Wasps

Wasps will often sting pets. This is particularly painful if your pet is stung in the mouth or throat. If this happens, the swelling may prevent your pet from breathing. Wasp stings can also lead to allergic reactions. If you think you may have a wasp nest on your property, give us a call without delay. We are available across London for wasp control services and nest removal.

Red ants

These ants often bite pets. The reason why this can be dangerous, is because the ants release a venom that can sometimes cause allergic reactions. The effects of this venom differs between animals. In some it causes only an itchy rash. In others it can result in death.

red ants

If your garden is overrun with ants, be aware of the impact of this on your pets. Seek help and advice from an expert like Diamond. We are on hand by phone to give you information and support:

Rats and mice

Rodents can also be classed as harmful pet pests. They are known to bite pets. This can spread disease, the most common being leptospirosis. It causes fever, lethargy, anorexia and vomiting.

Your animals can also be harmed if they catch rats or mice and eat them. Eating rodents can infect your pet with intestinal worms and also toxoplasmosis. This makes your pets very, very ill, and leads to things like diarrhoea, liver disease and can even affect their nervous system.

When catching rats and mice your pets may also suffer a secondary effect from rodent poison. This happens when they eat a rodent which was recently poisoned, but hasn’t died yet. Pest control safety around pets is therefore paramount. Always be vigilant and only deal with responsible professionals when it comes to pest control.

Sally

Sally has been writing on the subject of pest control for 4 years. She always carries out extensive and in depth research and always tries to bring you the most up to date, interesting topics.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial